Wash day beef salad


When I was a boy you use to have what was called a wash day dinner that basically was cold meat from the Sunday roast and mashed potatoes and pickles. And in the summer it was with salad and new potatoes. Well this is my tribute to that very dinner that I realised the other day as I spoke about it to my tonnage daughter she did not have the foggiest about what I was talking about.

You will need Ingredients
8 or more cooked new potatoes
6 or more mushrooms
1 medium-sized red onion
Small amount of parsley
Small amount of chives
1 garlic clove
A good mix of spring salad leaves
sea salt flakes
1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
½ teaspoon Dijon mustard
ground black pepper
4 tablespoons olive oil
1 tsp cream of  horseradish or fresh if you can get it.
4 slices of leftover rare roast beef

Just get a very lager pan and start with a little oil in it and stat to fry off your new potatoes and sliced red onion together.

Then in a bowl add your sea salt, red wine vinegar, Dijon mustard, black pepper, olive oil and  horseradish. Combine this all together to make your dressing.

Now care your beef as thin as you can then slice it in to thin strips and put that in to the dressing.

Now your potatoes and onions should have started to get nice and brown so slice the mushrooms and add them to the pan. Slice the garlic and get that in to the mix , let every thin fry together so you get a nice well cooked blend but do not over cook the mushrooms. Then add the herbs roughly chopped .

Now tip the contents of the frying pan in to the bowl with the beef and the dressing and give every thing a goad coating , finally add your leaves toss it lightly then arrange then on a plate or in a bowl.

There is some thing so very satisfying about the hot and cold of this kind of salad that I really like. It is quick and easy to make and if you have spent the day washing then this is the sort of thing you probably deserve to eat. As we have a automatic washing machine I will just have to treat my self anyway.

Comments

  1. Thanks for the reminder - I'd forgotten about wash day dinner. More often than not it was bubble and squeak in the winter with Branston pickle and, as you say, a salad with new potatoes in the summer but always with salad cream on the side. I wish I could say that the roast beef was rare, but sadly I can't. Your salad is a major improvement on those days, believe me.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

A recipe for perfect Yorkshire pudding

The Era Of Ultra-Premium Sipping Vodka - Discover The Ultimate Luxury Of British Made Quintessentially Vodka

The Lakes Distillery- Sealing Deals With Drams