Apple duff.




I have been looking for a recipe that is so typically seems to be eluding me.  I was looking for an Irish desert but what I found was this.  Apple duff seem to have some connection with James Joyce “Ulysses” sadly a book I have never read. I do have a idea about what the book is about and I know that it covers the day in a life of a man, Leopold Bloom through Dublin during16 June 1904.  But the fact that it is 265,000 words long and 18 episodes I just have never got round to it.  Nevertheless, having read a number of the recipes I think I have come up with a version that will fit the ticket.

You will need
4 dessert apples
50g soft brown sugar
50g sultanas
Dash of lemon juice.
A good pinch of cinnamon
A good pinch of nutmeg
350g approx puff pastry
One egg
Pinch of Demerara sugar 
300ml double cream

Now I have read a number of recipes and some say you just sit the apple on the pastry and let it cook the others say rap it in the pasty. I am going to go for it being rapped in pastry so for this you will need to peal and core your apples but leave them whole.

Take the apple and roll it in the lemon juice and then the brown sugar so it gets a good coating.  Now take your sultanas cinnamon and nutmeg and mix this in a bowl along with a little of the brown sugar. Then stuff the centre of the apples.

Divide the pastry in to four and roll so you have a sheet for each apple, egg wash the edges of the pastry.  Then bring the pastry up and round the apple leaving a little hole at the top for the steam to escape. Then egg wash the outside of the pastry and sprinkle a little Demerara sugar, cinnamon and nutmeg on the out side of the pastry. Then place on a try and let them sit in the fridge for about 10 to 20 minutes before you cook them  

Preheat the oven to 200c/400f and then bake for 30 to 40 minutes until the pastry is nice and golden.  Finally serve with lightly whipped double cream. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A recipe for perfect Yorkshire pudding

The Era Of Ultra-Premium Sipping Vodka - Discover The Ultimate Luxury Of British Made Quintessentially Vodka