Imperial or metric what way is best.




Now I do not know what the answer is here as to what  you should use. The thing is that in this world we have two of every thing gram and ounces, pounds and kilos, cellcus and Fahrenheit. And then there are recipes in juts cups.

So I have put together a page on this blog  with what I hope will build to a completely comprehensive chart of under standing the difference between a gram , once , pound , kilo litre , pint , inch and centimetre.

The truth is that a recipe works as long as you have the right measurement and the of the ingredients. I remember not so long ago I was given a recipe for a sponge pudding. Now the problem with that was that we had to work out every thing in to grams so we could put together a recipe. Now the liquids were recorded in litres, the dry goods recorded in ounces and the eggs where just eggs no size to them for the sauces you needed just a dash of brandy. Now I know the person who gave me the recipes knew exactly what it all meant and I could work out most of it converting things back from ounces to gram but when it comes back to a dash how much is that. When it came down to it the dash in question was more of a glug than a dash but that was by the by.

You could say the recipe was wrong but it was not wrong it was just the way it was recorded. I know that when I make a Yorkshire batter mix I do not know how mush egg milk or flour I use, I use my experience and eye to do the rest.

So is this wrong, well no, a recipes is a little like a story that keeps on getting reinvented to bring it up to date. Once it was all full fat milk cheese and beef fried in lard.  Now its skimmed milk low fat cheese and lean beef dry fried. A recipe can have a life over time fall out of favour and be reborn in a new way that people thing is different or new.

The only problem is that when you have a group of chef and they all tell the same story in a different way. That is to say if you are working in a kitchen and producing the food for a menus then you want what is cooked on Monday to be the same on Tuesday and the day after that , not change because another person has made it . It is then that the recipe is important and the presentation as well. However, so often this is what goes wrong. There are two things that annoy me more than any other in this world of food and that is, one the lack of product knowledge that you make and serve. And two, the lack of continuity from one day to the next.

Solve those two problems and you will find life a lot easier. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A recipe for perfect Yorkshire pudding

The Era Of Ultra-Premium Sipping Vodka - Discover The Ultimate Luxury Of British Made Quintessentially Vodka

The Lakes Distillery- Sealing Deals With Drams